Imminent Development of Fort Negley Park:
The Old Greer Stadium – Vote is May 16, 2017 at 6:30PM | Davidson County Courthouse, 1 Public Square, 2nd Floor, Nashville, TN
Besides the tourism/historic value of this American Civil War icon, why is the city wanting to decrease public green space downtown? There is too little of it now. This 16 acre parcel has been in the public park inventory since the 1920’s. Half of it is proposed for commercial development by the Metro Council. That could be 8 acres of public downtown Green Space! As downtown explodes in development, we need more, not less, open space!
- Fort Negley is the largest Civil War stone fort (inland)
- Few Civil War sites remain in Nashville
- African American Contraband Camps were located here
- A former cemetery of over 11,000 Union soldiers – some of which could still be there
- Water run-off issues
- Less green space
- More trafic congestion
- Monarch butterfly habitat
- Rare fossil site
If you live in Davidson County, Tennessee please contact your council person here.
Download the Friends of Fort Negley Plan
@savingplaces #thisplacematters #fortnegley